Preamble

The name of this blog comes from my friend Rob, a fine painter, who suggested that "The dip 'n; flick technique" (as in dip the mini in housepaint & flick off any excess paint) describes my painting style.

Thanks for that Rob :)

My minis are mostly done to sell, so this will be pretty much the only record of the models I've made and painted; I hope you enjoy looking through them.

Mike

Thursday 3 March 2011

WIP AoBR SM Captain for eBay

The Captain is coming along, in fact to the (my) naked eye he looks ok - so I thought I'd post these and look at them in a day or so before basing and finishing.

I also experimented with a different background, this is a white towel.


At this stage I'm pleased (ish) with the overall look of the face and the creams of the cloak inner and loincloth. Not so much with the golds, I can see now that I'm going to have to apply metallics in many more and much thinner layers. I'm not even going to think about NNM yet. Ok, that's a lie but thnking's as far as it gets for now.

Some cloth highlighting done but need to think about edge highlighting on armour and black outlining on shoulder pads. The leather looks a bit naff as well.


Also in need of work - the weapon


Jump pack and back of banner still to be highlighted.

4 comments:

  1. Looking good Mike. What are you going to do to the white robes? Some kind of wash like devlen mud or something different. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Luke, thanks for looking.

    Ummm, the plan at the moment is to highlight the cream of the cloak with pure white more strongly - I don't really want to shade it....

    I'll see though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike :) For the shading just thin the paint until it is like skimmed milk (roughly 4-6 parts water to one part paint) and wipe the excess off the brush after loading (an old t shirt is great for this) and then paint into the shadows (this way you are controlling where the wash is going.)
    An ochre yellow will be good for the robes (if you don't have a browny yellow then just add a tiny bit of purple (a realy tiny amount) into a yellow.

    For smooth highlights don't thin as much.

    the miniature mentor dvd's will be a very good buy for you at this stage in your painting (the complete solution and the advanced tutorials) and will lift your skills beyond what you thought possible.

    http://www.miniaturementor.com/painting_tutorials.html

    Just give me a shout if you want any advice.

    chris. (generulpoleaxe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chris - Thanks :) and I'll have a look at the DVD.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete